||43 John - Believe:879 - 2009
||The Right Thing, The Wrong Way
Our text reads that crowds of people came "seeking Jesus." That sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? And yet Jesus challenges them as to their motive because they were seeking Him (the right thing) in order to satisfy themselves only (the wrong motive). Let’s consider three monumental truths about how people interact with spiritual things in general and Jesus Christ in particular. Let’s also reconsider the starting point for anyone who wants anything to do with Christ.
- Searching for God Can be Hypocritical (vv. 22-26)
- Physical Energy Expended
- Spiritual Life Neglected
- Living for Self Will be Detrimental (v. 27)
- Negatively: Don’t Aim Below
- Positively: Do Aim Above!
- Believing in Jesus Must be Foundational (vv. 28-29)
- We Wanna DO Something
- You Need to BELIEVE Someone
Making it More than a Sermon:
- Was there ever a time you were extremely hungry or completely out of money? What were you willing to do to make things better? How powerful a motivator is hunger?
- How would you rate your spiritual hunger? Do you have a noticeable spiritual drive?
- How is spiritual food different from earthly food? How is it similar?
Keywords: Salvation, religion, believe, motives